If you feel anxiety at the thought of sitting in the dentist’s chair, sedation dentistry can help!
Most forms of sedation used in dentistry will allow you to remain conscious but relaxed, helping to ease the tension of undergoing dental procedures.
Methods of Sedation
There are several methods of sedation available:
- Nitrous oxide is a common sedation technique. A small mask is fitted over your nose, and you inhale the gas while the procedure is taking place. Nitrous oxide can help with mild dental anxiety, causing a relaxed feeling during your dental procedures. Nitrous oxide wears off just seconds after the mask is removed, allowing you to resume your normal activities immediately.
- Oral sedation can be used for mild to moderate dental anxiety. You will be given a pill or a prescription, which you take approximately an hour before your appointment. Oral sedation will leave you feeling very relaxed, and you may not even remember all of the procedure. You will need to be accompanied by a friend or family member to your appointment as oral sedation can take several hours to wear off.
You will be monitored during your sedation to ensure that you are safe during the procedure.
Benefits of Sedation
Sedation dentistry offers several benefits:
- It allows you to complete dental work in fewer visits.
- It helps alleviate anxiety and leaves you relaxed after your procedure.
- It can keep you from remembering the sounds and smells often associated with dental anxiety.
If you are interested in sedation dentistry or have questions or concerns, please contact our office for more information. We will be happy to help you decide what’s right for you!